Image Size 15.5" x 15.5"
This painting was so much fun to paint. I started out by using all of the colors that had been mixed on my palette for previous paintings, knowing that my first layer rarely showed much in the finished painting. That gave me a jumping off point (and cleaned my palette). I also knew that I wanted to used some shellac burning in this one as well. Usually, I burn the shellac while it is still wet and then make some adjustments after it is dry if there are areas that I don't like. This time, I let it dry and then used the heat gun to make it react. It didn't react as strongly as when it is lit on fire but it did make some interesting ribbon-like shapes. I'm not sure you can really see them in this photo. Even in person they are hard to detect because I did some layering after the shellac was added, which I usually don't do.
I also experimented with alcohol inks. I added them and moved them around by blowing on them through a straw. Then added more wax. This is the most visually textural encaustic that I've done so far and I'm very happy with it. I can't wait to try another one using this combination of techniques.