Monday, July 16, 2018


image size 9.5" x 12.5"

Weird name, right?  Well, when I look at this, I see like a window that needs a squeegee.  This is done on a thin piece of TerraSkin.  I originally bought the thin pieces hoping to do some layers of painted paper with each layer showing through.  It isn't transparent enough to use that way, unfortunately, but it works well for regular paintings.  That's good because I have quite a bit of it. 

Monday, July 9, 2018

Peppers On TerraSkin

"Peppers On TerraSkin
Image size 4" x 6"
I finished up another old painting this week.  This is on TerraSkin, which I haven't used for a while.  I had forgotten what a great surface it is for watercolor.  I'm glad I finished an old project and will use the TerraSkin again soon.

Monday, July 2, 2018


Image size 24" x 24"

I can't seem to get away from the blues and greens.  I did mix some rust, brown and white in for a little variety though.  I also did some encaustic burn using white and blue for some texture.  It doesn't really show up very much it this picture though.

Monday, June 25, 2018

San Clemente Vista

"San Clemente Vista"
Image size 6" x 6"
This week is the "Paint San Clemente" plein air event.  I've been looking forward to trying some more plein air paintings.  I went to Casa Romantica yesterday, which is a beautiful, old spanish style home perched above the ocean.  It has beautiful gardens and views.  I lasted about an hour and a half before I got tired of painting and went home.  I will continue trying plein air paintings, but there's nothing like the comfort of painting at home.  I still have trouble editing what to paint when I'm outside looking at a scene.  I'm sure it will get easier with practice, but I doubt that I will ever consider myself a plein air painter.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Painting Party Vineyard

"Painting Party Vineyard"
Image size 9" x 12"

This painting was finished on Friday, but I forgot to post it yesterday.  I've been really busy with several projects and my brain just couldn't handle one more thing I guess.

On Friday, I led a painting party for a friend.  About 10 people painted.  I wanted a scene that would be easy to do, but not look simplistic.  I've never led a painting party before so I was pretty nervous.  I painted along with everyone so they could copy what I was doing.  Only a few people did that.  Some people painted something totally different and others copied the example that I had brought but painted much more quickly than I did.  It was really fun to see everyone's creativity and I think they all turned out really well.  I wish I had pictures of them.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Nature's Power

"Nature's Power"
Image Size 24" x 36"
Back to waves again!  They are just so much fun to paint and I can't stop!  This time I wanted to have the wave crashing on the sand instead of just curling.  I'm really happy with the colors on this one.

Monday, June 4, 2018

San Juan Bougainvillea

"San Juan Bougainvillea"
Image size 6" x 8"
Water Miscible Oil

I went to the San Juan Capistrano mission this week to do a plein air painting.  I've only tried painting outside a handful of times and it has always seemed to be more trouble than it's worth.  I like having all the comforts of home when I paint, but it's time to try something new. 

For some reason, I've signed up for a plein air competition that is held in a local beach city each year so I'm forcing myself to paint outside.  It's a week of painting with a contest at the end of the week.  I doubt that I will enter anything that I paint, but I thought it would be fun to try. There will be artists all around the town painting so there should be a nice energy.  I think that once I get used to painting outside, I will really enjoy it.  

The mission has so many places that would be beautiful to paint, but I saw this bougainvillea at the end of a broken archway and decided that would be my subject.  I painted for a couple of hours before I left, but for me, that's a long time to paint without taking a break.  I have a very short attention span....

Monday, May 28, 2018

Reflections Study

"Reflection Study"
Image size 8" x 10"
This is a very rough first attempt painting reflections in water.  I'm not at all happy with it, but will continue to experiment because I want to try this in an encaustic painting.  

Monday, May 21, 2018


Image size 6" x 6"

It's been a while since I've done a palette knife painting.  I really enjoy this technique and the textural look of the finished painting, but have been preoccupied with encaustic paintings. 

I'm planning to paint 'en plein aire' in June for a local contest so I thought I should start practicing with oils since I will be using them and can use some practice.  It's stressful enough painting outside (since I never do that) so being comfortable with my medium will help.

Buellton is a small town in Santa Barbara county and there are several nearby wineries that are fun to visit.  I love the look of the rolling hills with dotted greenery behind vineyards.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Iris on Yupo

"Iris On Yupo"
Image size 11" x 14"
This probably looks like one of my older paintings and it should.  I started this probably 8 years ago and never finished it.  I've been cleaning out my studio (again) and when I found this painting, I decided I needed to finish it.  I think this is the only painting that I have done on Yupo (a plastic, non-absorbent paper) because I find it to be a very hard surface to paint on.  The results can be interesting, but I have trouble with lint getting onto the surface and in the paint.  After I finished painting this, I spritzed it with a light mist of water which gave it an interesting texture.
Related Posts with Thumbnails