Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Nature's Fury - Watercolor


I had a lot of fun with this one.  This is another piece of that handmade paper that has the beautiful deckle edge.  I love this shape and the deckle edge adds an interesting little extra something to it.  I had to seal the paper because it has no sizing in it.  Once it's sealed, the paint sits on the surface of the paper. It's a different way of painting than on a regular piece of watercolor paper but it's really a fun change.

I wanted this to portray the energy and force of water as well as how dangerous it can be.  I think this painting shows the energy and force but maybe the colors are too pure and pretty to convey any sense of danger.  You know me and my love for pure colors.  I guess if I'd used blues with more gray and other dull colors that would have given it a more dangerous feeling but that wouldn't have been nearly as much fun to paint.

Nature's Fury
Image Size 21" Diameter
Watercolor

13 comments:

  1. Nancy this is sooo cool! Even if the colors aren't as 'angry' as you'd like, the way it's painted sure conveys chaos and confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! I love the colors too, Nancy. I was instantly reminded of when God flooded the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like that, very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does have a lot of energy in it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for you wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I love the instant GRAB of this piece! The shape and colors are so powerful and yet I didn't get the feeling of danger. Instead, I keep feeling a sense of calm; but then again that's what water does for me :). It is a wonderful work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the pure colors, and it really does have a lot of energy and movement to it. Beautiful and very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the paper black? or did you use black paint? Free flow painting is so much more appealing to me lately, and I can relate to the energy of the water... I am working on a series of paintings focused on the ocean's energy too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Robin. The paper was white and that dark paint is actually blue. I just applied it with very little water so it would be really dark. I love your ocean series in the encaustics. They show a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails