Monday, November 21, 2011

Sunny Spain

About 10 years ago, we visited the south of Spain and this was painted from a picture I took of one of the many whitewashed, hillside towns.  What impressed me about each town we visited was how clean and white all of the buildings were.  In fact, we saw buildings being freshened up with white paint in every town we visited.

I started this painting years ago and set it aside.  I finally finished it this week.  I used pastels on a rust colored mat board that I had coated with pumice gel which gave it enough tooth to hold many layers of pastels.  My friend gave me some Sennelier pastels that she decided she wasn't going to use and I really  enjoyed trying them.  They are the softest pastels I've ever used and have a really buttery feeling.  I can't wait to use them again.  Thanks Peggy!!!

Sunny Spain
Image Size 9.5" x 16.5"
Pastels

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful piece, Nancy. I've visited the Barcelona to Catalunya and the Pyrenees. I was struck by the way villages were built into the hillsides like this. And how close together everything is. So striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherry. I would like to see more of Spain. I've been to Barcelona (briefly) and the south of Spain only but hope to go back and see more of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you finished this painting, Nancy. My Dad's family comes from Northern Spain and when I see this, it makes me want to go there. My sister went last year and told me the same thing ...the beautiful white buildings..Ahh! You just took me there with this beautiful piece.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad this painting took you to Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really beautiful, Nancy, and makes me want to go to Spain, too! Interesting to learn about the Sennelier pastels . . . thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, crisp pastel, Nancy. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Robin. We had a great Thanksgiving. How was yours?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful contrast of the whites against the foliage. I love views of little towns like that. Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These rooftops are to inviting. I like the overlook of the valley.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails