Monday, February 25, 2013

Lonely Palm


I had so much fun painting this one.  I used black gesso on the canvas before I started painting.  I love the matte finish of the black gesso and hope that when the oil paints dry on this one, the black bits peeking through will be a contrast with the shiny oils.  Of course, some oils dry flat, not shiny so I'll have to wait and see.

This was painted entirely with a palette knife.  I don't know why I don't do more palette knife paintings.  They are so different in the finished look and the feeling while I'm painting.

Along with leaving bits of black peeking through the paint throughout the painting, I left a black line between all of the major elements.  With my background making stained glass windows for so many years, I am still attracted to this look.

Lonely Palm
Image size 12" x 12"
Oil

4 comments:

  1. Oooops, where's the painting? Doesn't show up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out Kathleen. I don't know what happened. I always check the blog after I post to make sure everything looks okay. The picture was there earlier so I don't know why it disappeared - but...it's baaaaccckkk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, this is a truly wow piece, Nancy. I just love it so very much. At first I thought it was watercolor and ink until I read your words. I cannot imagine how you did this! Truly exquisite and a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sherry. I think you would like palette knife paintings. It feels like you're frosting a cake and it's a great way to loosen up, which I'm always trying to do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails