Monday, June 6, 2016

Guacamole II

"Guacamole II"
Image size 11" x 18"
Watercolor
This probably looks very familiar to you because I've painted it before.  I wasn't happy with how all of the values were in the middle range so I painted a second one with a very dramatic background.  I masked the subjects so that I could get a very smooth background and used colors that lift so that I could soften the edges after I removed the masking.  Unfortunately, since they were liftable colors and I didn't get the darkness that I wanted with my initial wash, when I added more washes, the color lifted.  I don't usually use an airbrush, but for this project, it worked perfectly to achieve the darkness and the variegated background.  After removing the masking, I wasn't able to soften the edges anyway so I'm not sure what was happening - suddenly, the liftable colors weren't lifting.

I really like my idea for this painting but I can't really say that I'm thrilled with either version.  I like the value contrast of this one but I should have used a different background color.  This is too much green, even for me.

Here is a picture of the first painting:
 I would love to hear your honest opinions of these two paintings.  

5 comments:

  1. Wow Nancy, I don't know. I think they are both fabulous! So different but both dramatic. I really can't pick one over the other. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's airbrush proficient too! You are my inspiration as I have thought about airbrush but seemed too complicated. What kind of set up do you have and can you do indoors? I remembered this form before and do,like the more intense values in this one. What if you really went to a long skinny canvas to accentuate even more the tower effect of the composition? Like this one and will be interested if you choose to d it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a small compressor and the airbrush. I've had both for a couple of decades and rarely use them but it is nice to have for something like this project. Years ago, I used it to create smog in a watercolor painting - such fun!
      I like your idea of a long, skinny format. If I do this again, I will try it in oil.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful Nancy! I like both but the darker background pulls those veggies forward!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails