Monday, April 24, 2017

Below The Surface

"Below The Surface"
Image size 12" x 12"
Encaustic

I wanted to work more with layers and textures this week and get a sense of atmospheric depth.  I used a variety of transparencies of wax and some layers of alcohol inks in the lower part.  My surface was an cradled board that I didn't gesso. The unfinished wood gives a bit softer look than if the background had been the bright white of a gessoed surface.

The striations in the top light layer in the bottom portion were achieved by using a cheap, thin brush that is missing half of the bristles.  That gave a nice texture that shows more in person than in this photo.  

2 comments:

  1. This is a WOW piece. Really like the feel, colors that make me feel like I am looking at the earth's crust. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails