Monday, March 11, 2019

Early Morning Wave



"Early Morning Wave"
Image size 8" x 10"
Water Miscible Oils
This is a wave study that I painted in a workshop I attended this past weekend.  I like working with water miscible oils because they have very little smell, unlike traditional oils.  I'm becoming sensitive to the fumes from the oil paints and try to limit how much I use them in my studio.  I've been using them in the garage with the doors open when I feel the need to paint with them.

The water miscible oils are a pretty good substitution.  Just like regular oils, some colors are creamier and some are stickier in their consistency.  They look like oils and their workability is very close.  I've been told that they are oil paints that have been altered so that they are able to be cleaned up with water.  I don't know how they do that, but I'm glad they figured it out.  I have been thinning the colors with water when I need the paint to flow better, but apparently, that is not the best thing to do.  I need to pick up a medium to use with them.  Winsor and Newton makes several different mediums in their Artisan line to be used with water miscible oils. 

I'll let you know how that works after I've tried it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails