Monday, December 7, 2009

Pink Bracts

This was such a fun painting to do. The surface is Aquabord, made by Ampersand. A few weeks ago, I finished a painting on Claybord, also by Ampersand which was really hard to work on. After finishing it, I discovered that it isn't a surface meant for watercolor. Well, no wonder I had so much trouble! I still had to use a different style of painting on this because the paint sits on the surface and easily lifts so when adding the darker values I had to be careful but since I knew that when I started, I had a different mindset going into it. It was fun to be able to completely lift out color and I love the brilliance of the painting compared to paintings on paper. It doesn't really show in this photo but this really has a glow to it. I do love vivid color!

Image size 5" x 5"
Watercolor on Aquabord
Unframed
$100.00


6 comments:

  1. It is funny you mentioned the clayboard piece because when I opened this I immediately wondered if you had attempted the clayboard again. I loved your clayboard piece and I love this one as well. I can see a bit of the paper grit so I knew it wasn't clayboard but your paper gives a similar effect. This is a brilliant piece, both in color and style and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I love the pebbled surface of the Aquabord. The extra texture gives it a nice look. Have you tried painting on this surface?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, not yet. Your paintings have made me want to try though. That said, I have much to learn on simple basics before I attempt such specialty papers. LOL My big excursion was using the backside of a piece 140 lb cold press; interesting experiment as the pain sat on top of the paper a bit more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! I love looking over your blog, simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! I'm really enjoying your flower series. They are all so beautiful. Can't wait to see what you do on yupo - or did you do that already and I missed it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Suzanne. I enjoyed looking at your blog too. I really like your T-shirt series.

    Thank you Rosemary. I have tried Yupo in the past and it was NOT a successful surface for me. I'm sure I will try it again when I'm feeling adventurous. I have a friend who is the most wonderful Yupo artist. Check out his website. http://watercoloryupo.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails