Monday, January 4, 2010

French Aloe

I was once told by an artist that paintings that are predominately green don't sell. That may or may not be true but I sure love 'em. This started out as a study for a larger oil painting but I've spent so much time painting it, I'm no longer considering it a 'study'.

The reference photo for this was taken in Eze, a medieval village in the south of France. Of course, I'm sure the plant is the same as an Aloe in the U.S. but it seems much more exotic since it's been 'imported', n'est-ce pas?

French Aloe
Image Size 7" x 7"
Sold
Gouache on gessoed wood - can be displayed unframed



9 comments:

  1. Nancy, I love green and that's a beautiful job you did. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color it green and I'm a sucker for it, Nancy. I love the light play on the leaves and the details of this lovely piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the same thing about predominantly green paintings, but I love this aloe nevertheless. I don't think it'll have a problem finding a happy home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, Sherry and Maria, thank you for the nice comments. I'm an avid gardener so anything green is beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Say it ain't so! I've never heard that one about green paintings before but I'd be interested to know if it's true, since I love green too!

    This is a great composition with lots of movement and lovely light/shadow. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, Nancy....and the Clivias on silk were outstanding. And welcome to Windows to the Words..hope you can find time to participate...I'd be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deborah, I hope what I heard about green paintings is false also. I plan to do more green paintings so we'll see.

    James, Thank you and I do hope to participate in your Windows to the Words challenge soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful painting and I love all the green! The red and gold are really nice accent colors, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails