Monday, October 4, 2010

A Pair of Pear Paintings

Say that three times fast.  This week I bought some pears to paint and decided to paint them in oils as well as pastels.
Here is the one in oils.  I tried to paint loosely like I did while I was in Leslie and Dreama's workshop but it ended up being tighter than I wanted, but looser than my usual paintings, so maybe I'm getting there.

Lean on Me
Lean On Me
Image Size 6" x 6"
Oil


I planned to do the one in pastels in a more photorealistic way but I didn't like the way it was looking so I added more gestural strokes and I'm happier with it now.  Here it is:

Two Against One
Two Against One
Image Size 9" x 13"
Pastels




9 comments:

  1. What a pretty pair of pear paintings! Perfect!

    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

    These are both really lovely. I especially love the leaning pear in the first. It is personified without being overly cutsy. That gives "life" to the still life. I think the background is GREAT, too...full of movement without being distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl, my analysis of your alliteration is that it's amazingly awesome.
    Thanks for your nice comments. Isn't it funny how pears always seem to have personality? I can't think of any other fruit that does but every time I see a pear in a still life, it seems to be telling a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and loose brushstrokes in these and every time I look at them I get hungry for pears! Beautiful work, Nancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure do like the oil. Have you seen this site: http://pearathon.com/cpg/index.php?cat=0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carole. The oil is my favorite also. I had never seen that site before. I think it's wonderful that our friend, the pear has a website to show its splendor. I just added a couple of my paintings to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had just found the site the day I saw your pears... glad yours are there now. I was inspired to paint some pears and there were none in our little stores so I asked a friend to bring some from Juneau. And I've done 3 paintings of them. Thinks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole. Pears are such an inspiring fruit, aren't they? Having to import them from another town makes them even more special.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails