Monday, June 25, 2012

Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts seem to always get a bad rap so I've never felt the need to try them.  I was really intrigued when I saw the unique way they grow.  I never gave it any thought but if  I were asked how they grow I would have guessed that they grow close to the ground like a cabbage.

I was in Trader Joe's last November and saw the brussels sprouts for sale still attached to the stalks and decided they would be an interesting subject to paint.  When I took them up the the checkout, the cashier asked how I was going to prepare them and I said "Oh, I'm not going to eat them, I'm going to paint them".  He was appalled!  Then he asked me if I was going to at least compost them and I had to tell him no.  I felt so guilty as I left the store that I decided I would try to eat them even though I had negative feelings about them because I'd never met anyone who actually liked them.

I took lots of pictures of them to paint from since it usually takes me too long to paint something this detailed and I figured the only way these would have a chance of being tasty would be if they were really fresh.

To prepare them I cut them in half, tossed them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them.  I must admit they were pretty tasty.  In fact, I had some again last night.  They probably won't become my favorite vegetable but I do like them.  If anyone has a good recipe for them, please share.  : )

This is a watercolor on 300# Arches rough.

Brussels Sprouts
Image Size 30" x 11"
Watercolor

12 comments:

  1. I adore brussel sprouts. Cut off the hard end. Remove any wilted leaves. Quarter them. Melt butter in frying pan. Let Brussels sprouts cook without tiring for a while so that one edge gets a bit browned. S and p. Add some thyme. Don't cook until they are soft and mushy or they are "nasty". A bit al dente? Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non seulement j'ai de bonnes recettes mais je vous invite à venir les déguster! Les choux de Bruxelles lorsqu'ils sont bien préparés sont excellents. Il faut impérativement les blanchir pour une bonne digestion...

    Je suis certaine que vous les aime déjà car en admirant votre peinture, je m'aperçois que vous les avez magnifiquement bien réussis. Donc c'est que déjà vous les savourez des yeux !...
    Les couleurs sont sublimes.

    Gros bisous à vous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jill. I'll try that. It sounds delicious. Of course there are very few foods that aren't wonderful when cooked in butter. : )

    Martinealison, merci pour votre suggestion de les blanchir. Je n'avais pas entendu ça et c'est bon à savoir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought these were a beautiful flower until I looked closer. I have seen the way these grow since I watch alot of Food Network shows, but still...you sure made them beautiful, Nancy.

    I really like brussel sprouts myself but then I also love cabbage. (It doesn't love me though!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherry, I tried to use happy colors so the Brussels Sprouts would 'Feel the love".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Nancy...this was such a funny post...we look at fruit and veggies in such a different way than "normal" people!!! LOL. I love brussels sprouts...unlike my husband who won't even try them. I love this painting..perfect background color as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Hilda. I think my next vege victim will be the lowly turnip. That's another vegetable that I haven't tried and have never felt like I was missing anything. I guess it's time to start being brave and eating my vegetables. Tomorrow is the farmer's market so maybe I'll swing by there and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea Nancy! These are brilliant! I love brussels sprouts and will have to try them as you suggested here. You did a terrific job. They look to good to eat even. Congratulations also on the selection of your painting, "Gone...Again" . A very deserving award indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are the most beautiful brussels I've ever seen - I'd even want to eat them! great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Ross. I think brussels sprouts should get an award for being the most interesting looking vegetable.

    Thank you Hillary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just the way I would fix them! I swear I can eat most things sauteed with olive oil, salt, & pepper. Great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Kimberly. Yes, everything does taste great with those ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails