Monday, July 7, 2014

Abstracted Lake Powell

Abstracted Lake Powell
Image Size 29" x 21"
Acrylic
I started painting this with watercolor but it was looking pretty wimpy so I switched to acrylics.  The paper was super wet for the majority of the painting and then I did some final details on dry paper.

Lake Powell is so beautiful with the clear blue skies and rusty colored cliffs and canyons that I just have to paint it every now and then.  I wanted this to have the feeling of Lake Powell without being specific.  


6 comments:

  1. Love the rock strata; against the blues of water and sky, it really sings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Lake Powell, but I definitely feel the soothing powers of the beautiful scene there. I like the idea of watercolor under acrylic! It sounds like it would give your work a beautiful blending quality. And I see that in the painting. I like the blue sky and the water reflecting the blue as well as the earth colors. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being Easterners we are used to green, but fell in love with that whole Vegas area, Valley of Fire and Lake Powell. With all the minerals the desert lakes are the most unbelievable colors. Blue and rust are a match mad for a beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my favorite color combo for paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails