Monday, January 7, 2013

Sunset

I'm still in a tropical mood even though it is feeling like winter here.  I took a lot of photos of waves crashing while we were in Mexico and am planning to do a series of them.  This one is done on wood that has been gessoed using textured brushstrokes.  Even though this is oil, I worked the medium thinned down more like watercolor.  Some days, I just can't stand that thick dragging feeling of oil paints so I'm glad I had the underlying texture on the wood to give the painting some extra interest.

Sunset
Image size 6" x 6"
Oil

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful beach scene, Nancy! I'm surprised to see so much color knowing you thinned down the oil paint. I thought it would take on more of a turpentine brownish hue as you added more thinner. Interesting effect and it definitely reminds me of a watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherry. It seems like the only time I feel comfortable using oil paints in their original consistency is with palette knife. I guess I've had too many years loving watercolors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails