Monday, April 23, 2012

Lone Fuchsia

I wasn't in the mood to paint today but needed to get something done to post so that I didn't miss my self-imposed deadline to post a painting each Monday.  I was out of town until yesterday so I had to do a last minute painting today.

Usually I can dig up some motivation but today a combination of it being a drizzly day and having no ideas of what to paint made painting a frustration. I started looking through my old, tired reference photos and found this lone fuchsia.

I also tried a different paper for this one.  A friend gave me a sample pack of Kilimanjaro paper and I chose one of the 300# pieces.  I've used Arches 300# before and generally like it but all of the heavy papers tend to suck up the paint and the colors that look so nice and rich when wet fade dramatically when they dry.  I lost all of my lights too but that had more to do with not paying attention than a problem with the paper so I played with a pen that has opaque white ink that I just got to add some playful white accents.  I'm not sure whether or not I like this paper but I will give it another try when I'm in a better mood.

Lone Fuchsia
Image size 4" x 6"
Watercolor

7 comments:

  1. Ce fuchsia solitaire était peut-être un peu comme vous... Cependant, j'aime beaucoup le travail autour des feuilles. Une peinture pas aussi "bof" que ça!
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, dear Nancy, I think this is stellar, truly. Having one of your own beautiful original pieces in my posession, I can see that this one has a similar feel. I found myself wondering at the absolute smoothness of your work. It is absolutely flawless, so beautiful. My piece sits in a frame on my end table right next to the couch. I must confess, I bought a heavy looking frame and I'm thinking that frame isn't the right one for the beauty of the piece. In fact, the frame is rather a piece of art itself, almost a trompe d'oleil. Pretty but I want to see and enjoy the piece, not be distracted by the heavy frame. It is destined for a new frame for sure.

    My mood wasn't right yesterday either, and we weren't getting rain. I love rain. Maybe that is what I need to lift my spirits a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell you, Nancy, when I saw this postage stamp size on my sidebar, I thought you had painted a ballerina. From now on I shall always think of fuchsias as ballet dancers and be reminded of your lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci Martinealison.

    Sherry, it makes me so happy that you have my painting where you see it every day. You've made my day! It's really amazing how a frame changes a painting. I've made many goofs through the years where I've fallen in love with a frame but it really doesn't compliment the painting.

    Hi John, these flowers do look a bit like ballerinas, don't they. I've always loved their delicate, fragile look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so beautiful, Nancy. My mother used to say it looked like a Ballerina..Beautiful background as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has a beautiful elegance to it, Nancy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails