Monday, April 9, 2012

The Vintage Lady - Silk Painting

This is going to be one of my submissions for the annual Tustin Art League's "Scenes of Tustin" juried show.  If  it gets juried into the show it will hang in Chemers Gallery in Tustin for a couple of weeks.

This is a quaint building that I've always loved in Old Town Tustin.  Unfortunately, it was damaged by a fire last December.  From the outside it looks like it might be able to be saved but I don't know if it is structurally sound.  Anyway, I had taken pictures of this building a few years ago intending to paint it and never got around to it.  I thought this year would be a good time to immortalize the image since it is no longer the Vintage Lady.  I hope someone is able to save this building and bring it back to its original charm.  I'll be very sad if it has to be torn down.

I had a lot of fun creating this silk painting.  I used techniques that I've never used before.  I wanted the foliage to have a softer look so I painted the lightest green color then after it dried I covered some of it with wax to save the light green.  Then I painted progressively darker greens and saved them with the wax.  By doing it this way, I was able to not have the foliage surrounded by the white resist lines.  I like the look of the resist lines but by having some areas without them I think the painting has a more complex look.

I also used a product called "No Flow" which keeps the dyes from spreading. This made it possible to paint the sign and filigree at the top of the facade.  This painting took a long time to finish but I'm very happy with the result.

The Vintage Lady
Image Size 22" x 20.5"
Silk Dyes on Silk

11 comments:

  1. This is so pretty, Nancy. I love the frames around some of your silk pieces that you do too. Interesting hearing about ways to save color and stop the color flow. I have a hard enough time working on paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful silk painting, Nancy!! Very unique..and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sherry. Silk is such a fun surface on which to paint. It's been really fun experimenting with new things.

    Thank you Hilda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This silk painting process sounds very interesting ...and looks like the essence of heirlooms ... the colours are so warm and smile making :0) Love your work, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fascinating to me. I had no idea you could paint in such a way on silk! Just like Crimsonleaves, i have a difficult enough time on paper! Smile! Your finished work is vibrant and colorful. I love the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a beautiful job painting the building and immortalizing it! I hope the building can be saved and its charm restored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, Nancy! A great example of combining techniques and the wax was the perfect choice for the foliage. I'm impressed by your straight lines too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Theresa. I hope it can be saved too. If it is, it will be something other than "The Vintage Lady" because the owner of that store has already relocated.

    Thank you Deborah. Your encouragement means a lot to me because you have inspired me to try these other techniques in silk painting. To me, you are the queen of silk painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is truly stunning. Loved the creative border around it. The different techniques used look gr8 in this painting! Looking forward to see the paintings in person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Prerana. I'll see you at the opening on the 28th.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails