Monday, April 2, 2012

Buellton Vineyard

This brings back memories of an idyllic day of wine tasting with family and friends last summer.  We went to Buellton which is north of Santa Barbara, CA.   It's a beautiful area that doesn't have the crowds that you might find in other well known vineyard areas in California.  This is the area that is seen in parts of "Sideways" the movie.

I painted this in watercolor on Aquabord, a surface where the paint sits on the surface rather than being absorbed as it is when paper is used.  It's a completely different way of working for me but gives a refreshing effect.  Another nice thing about this surface is that I can spray a sealer on the painting and then it can be framed like an oil or acrylic without using glass to protect it.

Buellton Vineyard
Image Size 6" x 6"
Watercolor

7 comments:

  1. C'est une très belle peinture, j'aime son atmosphère, celle des vignobles.
    Des couleurs harmonieuses qui vont faire "rougir un bon vin"!...
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is gorgeous, Nancy. I love when artists talk a bit about something in particular that they used. I always file it away in the file cabinet in my head for future use. I didn't see the movie, but what a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL watercolor, Nancy. Interesting info on the aquabord..if I worked on watercolor, I would definitely look into it. As you know, when you work with pastels, you have to frame it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci Martinealison. En voyant les paysages de vignobles est l'un de mes endroits préférés de voyages de dégustation,. Bien sûr, essayer les vins n'est pas mal non plus.

    Thank you Sherry. I think you would like this surface. It's easy to lift paint which allows for any changes you need to make.

    Thank you Hilda. Have you tried the Ampersand Pastelbord? Same manufacturer and I love all of their boards. The Gessobord is great for oils and acrylics. I haven't tried painting watercolor on it but I'm sure it would work for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! It makes me want to go out west again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the diagonals draw me in and move me around this beautiful landscape, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails