Monday, April 16, 2012

McCharles House

Here is my second painting that I'm entering in the "Scenes of Tustin" juried show.  I'll find out next week if they got into the show.  The McCharles House is one of many beautiful Victorian style houses in Old Town Tustin.  It is a tea house (I don't think that's what it's called but can't think of a better term right now) and they also have small weddings there and special events I think.  Anyway, it's a charming place and the food is good too!

This started out as a poured watercolor.  Usually I would use mainly just red, yellow and blue and let them mix on the paper to create the other colors.  For this painting though, since the house is green (a much brighter pea green than I've painted it) I also used a green paint.  It is definitely a green painting, isn't it?  Of course, I love green paintings - they are my favorites.  I think it doesn't have the look of a traditional poured painting because there is so much green in it but really, if the house is green and the foliage is green the painting is going to be green, right?  I'm happy with the soft, antique effect the muted greens gave to this painting.

Mc Charles House
Image Size 15" x 22"
Watercolor

19 comments:

  1. Une peinture pleine de douceur et de grâce... Une petite maison où il doit faire bon vivre...
    Vraiment adorable.
    Beau travail.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Tea house is a gorgeous painting ..definitely a favorite! This one has to make the show! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci Martinealison.

    Thank you Hilda. I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's got a really good feel about it, Nancy, the shadows work so well. I always think the shadowing is so important with buildings, it brings them to life. I only wish I could see it full size.

    Hope it wins!! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! at first glance it looks like real photograph! very fine and detailed work, that too with watercolors, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you John. I agree that shadows are very important - and a lot of fun to play with too.

    Thank you Prerana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is gorgeous, Nancy. Green is my favorite color and this piece is just so homey! Oh to live in a home like this (and even the landscaping is done!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sherry. I must admit to a bit of re-landscaping. I took out a huge tree stump in front and planted some extra plants. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate your visit and I often drop in on your blog for a little look and to be inspired. Thank you for sharing your art in this way Nancy. I could happily call this beautiful house, home. Doing all greens like this is a tricky task i think, which you accomplished so well.

    "Meana" by the way was named after my mother-in-law. She asked me if i thought of her as a cow! I assured her that my image of cows is one of beauty, and of thanksgiving. They give us so much and are so lovely, just like her. She thought that to be okay then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you stopped by Ross. Thank you for your kind comments.

    I can see why you had to clarify things with your mother-in-law. I'm not sure I would want to have a cow named after me either but I'm sure she was flattered after you explained things to her. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. This painting is gorgeous, Nancy. I think it is the perfect painting for the Tustin show and I hope it gets in! I would love to come down to Tustin and meet you there for tea one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Theresa. That would be really fun to go there for tea. It's been years since I've been there. Even though it's just a few minutes from my house, I forget it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me of a gingerbread house! It looks fantastic, and the details are so crisp, I bet you not only get into the show but you receive an award too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nancy this is just beautiful! Love the greens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Robin. I hope you're right!

    Thank you Kimberly. I love greens too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought I had left a comment on this one, but do not see it. I love this painting. The colors & values - just love it! It looks so inviting and does have that lovely antique feel to it. Wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Nan. Maybe the comment got lost in with all of the changes blogger is making.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails