Monday, September 12, 2011

Bougainvillea in Colored Pencil

I really need to get some new reference material!  I love bougainvillea but I think I've painted them enough!  We have been traveling and I needed something to work on while on the plane.  Colored pencils are the best medium for me in this instance because it doesn't take much space and if there is turbulence, there are no spills.  There were a few pencil skips during turbulence but it worked out okay.

I am so amazed by artists that use colored pencil as their primary medium.  It is a very time consuming process and being stuck on a plane is about the only time I have enough patience to work with them.  It sure makes me appreciate the skills and time needed to finish a colored pencil painting.  This is a small one and it took many hours more than if it was done in any other medium that I use.  Even though I really like the look of colored pencils that have been burnished, I didn't burnish this one because there was a bit too much texture in the paper, even though it is a hot pressed watercolor paper.  I usually like using smooth Bristol paper for colored pencils.  This paper did have a little more tooth to hold more layers of color, which was nice, so I guess each type of paper has its pros and cons.

Bougainvillea in Colored Pencil
Image Size 7" x 10"
Colored Pencil



11 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Nancy....so delicate...almost looks like a watercolor. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un magnifique travail que celui de vos bougainvilliers... Une grande fraîcheur.
    Bravo!
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Nancy! Maybe that is why my colored pencil work doesn't look like the fabulous work of colored pencil artists. I don't have the patience to layer colors, or even to lay them down well. Yes, that must be it. You, however, handle the pencils exquisitely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful - beautiful! Ditto to everything you said about colored pencils. One must have patience to use them to achieve the best possible results, however the finished pieces are worth it! How impressive that you work in color while flying! Enjoy your travels! Can't wait to see what you will post next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful! I love the softness of the color and the way you have the dark background to the left, and the white open space in the upper right. It makes a really pleasing composition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Hilda. I guess working in watercolor for so many years must have an effect when I switch mediums.

    Merci beaucoup Martinealison

    Thanks Sherry. I happen to really like your colored pencil pieces.

    Thanks Rosemary. I really enjoy the look of colored pencils so it's good that they work while flying. Someday maybe I will gain the patience to work with them at home.

    Thank you Theresa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous. I love the colors and your shading. I can understand how cps would be a good medium on an airplane, but I always go back to my trusty wc field kit and waterbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Joan. I've seen the water brushes but I'm not sure what to do with them. I think I'd still need a glass of water to work with and those tray tables are so small.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must be a great source of interest for your seat-mates on the plane! What a great way to pass the time. I like the texture of the paper that shows through - much more interesting I think than if it were all burnished and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are probably right about the texture being more interesting Deborah. I like that but I really like how colored pencil drawings can be made to look like oil paintings when burnished. I've always been interested in that "tricking the eye" thing.

    Thank you Helen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails