Monday, January 2, 2012

Purple Figs


These don't look so purple because my photo didn't capture the color so well - probably because it's so dark.  This is a an oil that I started awhile ago.  One of my New Year's resolutions is to finish unfinished paintings in my studio.  I'm tired of it always looking so messy even when I clean it up.  There's just too much stuff out there.  I have a lot of oil paintings that I've started and haven't felt like finishing.  I enjoyed finishing this but really, oil isn't my best medium.

I have no patience with any medium but watercolor.  I can spend weeks working on one watercolor painting and enjoy the process, which is usually tedious because of my style of painting but give me oil paints (or pastels, colored pencils etc.) and I feel the need to work quickly so I don't lose interest.  Maybe another resolution should be to become more patient.  Or...maybe I should stick to painting in watercolors.

Purple Figs
Image Size 6" x 12"
Oil
Unframed, gallery wrapped canvas painted on sides, no frame needed

6 comments:

  1. Patience is a virtue completely absent in me, Nancy, so I know what you are saying. I also prefer watercolors, but only because the anal in me makes me think I have a wee bit more control of them. LOL Now there's a picture. Anyway, I think these are fabulous! I do think, however, that oils are slightly more forgiving in nature...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you feel more control with watercolor is great. It is a hard medium. I agree that oils are more forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post, Nancy, I think I should have the same New Years resolution! I have two unfinished oil paintings...I would really like to finish them but my love for pastels isn't allowing me to do it! However, I have invested too much in oils so I will definitely give it a try! thanks for inspiring me! I have to say, you do beautifully with oils...I like this painting very much...colors, shading...wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I've inspired you to finish your projects Hilda. My friends would laugh if they read that because I really have to work on that so much myself. Maybe 2012 will be the time.
    Your pastels are so beautifully done, I can see why you would concentrate on that medium but I've seen your oils and they are equally beautiful. Good luck with finishing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me smiling, Nancy. Your comment about only having patience for watercolor and most people say they stay away from watercolor because they don't have the patience for it. Maybe, perhaps you are a watercolorist? However, I really like your still life of the figs; the color especially!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do consider myself a watercolorist but like to dabble in every medium.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails