Saturday, May 12, 2012

ACEO - Spirit Island

I haven't done an ACEO for a long time but I got a notice from an e-bay group that I've been part of for a long time (but never participated in) about a photo challenge so I decided to try it.  One of the members, Leola, posted a photo and gave permission for everyone to use it.  I usually don't use someone else's photos for my paintings but it was a requirement for this challenge. 

ACEO stands for Art Cards, Editions and Originals.  They are all 2.5" x 3.5" and are basically artist trading cards.  If you visit E-bay and search ACEO Originals, there are thousands of them up for bid.  I've sold a few of them in the past and it's fun to play in that arena - not profitable but still, it's always fun to follow an auction.  I've posted this one just to see what happens.

This is done mostly with colored pencil with a little bit of watercolor added.  The surface I used is Terraskin, which I've used a few times in the past with watercolor.  It's 80% stone dust and 20% resin.  It's very smooth so it's a great surface for colored pencil and this small format is also good for colored pencil as far as I'm concerned.  I don't usually have the patience to use that medium although I really admire artists that use colored pencil as their main medium.  Those larger drawings can take forever with it.   The Terraskin I used was very thin so I attached this to a mat board to give it some thickness and stability.


ACEO - Spirit Island
Image Size 2.5" x 3.5"
Colored Pencil and Watercolor

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is so beautiful, Nancy! I think everything you touch turns to gold and I am always talking about the beauty you've painted on the outside of your house to anyone who will listen.

    I really like the terraskin for watercolors and think a good watercolorist would have a blast with it. I enjoyed it myself. I like working in colored pencil too but they sure never look like the awesome work of colored pencil artists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherry. You are always leave the nicest comments! I'm glad you liked the Terraskin. I think the watercolor you did on it turned out really well. Stop being so hard on yourself. You should be as nice to yourself as you are to all the of the artists whose blogs you follow. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails