Monday, November 29, 2010

Summer in Alaska

I'm still working on painting loosely.  Maybe I'm starting to see things differently because "loose" is getting easier for me.  I know this is still pretty tight compared to most loose watercolor paintings but for me, it's pretty darn loose.  Actually, I'm missing working on my tight paintings.  Maybe switching between the two styles is the answer for me.

I've been told that it's important for an artist to have a distinctive 'style' so that their work is recognizable but I enjoy painting in so many different mediums and different ways that I wonder if I will ever settle on one style.  I guess time will tell the answer to that one.

Summer in Alaska
Image Size 15" x 22"
Watercolor

4 comments:

  1. Nancy, it's looking good. I have gone back and forth with the whole style thing I can identify with your trying out new things. I finally decided to stop analyzing it and just paint what I like. I'm sure at some point my point of view will become clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting and I think it looks loose, too! I agree with you that painting in several styles is much more interesting than just one. Variety is the spice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie and Theresa, I agree that variety is more interesting and ultimately, we paint for ourselves although it would be nice to be a fabulously well known artist in such demand that we couldn't paint fast enough, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it Nancy. Just keep painting for you and your love and enthusiasm for what you are doing will shine through!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails