Monday, December 3, 2012

Determination

Don't feel sorry for this poor neglected onion.  Obviously, it was past its prime for eating purposes, but  was determined to use its strength to grow, even though it sat ignored on the kitchen counter.

This onion was part of a still life set-up that my friend brought over for us to paint.  The other vegetables on the plate didn't catch my interest enough to paint them, but I thought this onion with its greenery had a graceful look and a lot of personality.  I also liked that it could grow so much without dirt or water.

I used a dark background to give it a dramatic effect and a sense of importance.  This poor onion that was so neglected has now been immortalized, which is good because I never did plant it and now it's gone forever.

Determination
Image Size 14" x 21"
Watercolor

10 comments:

  1. The dark background does give it more importance & I think this onion has a ton of personality. Love how you handled the lighting & the shadows. Nice work immortalizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure caught its beauty, Nancy! I must confess that your words made me think of the stories I've heard of how dead bodies continue to grow hair and nails. Don't ask me. I don't know how/why I am the way I am either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're funny Sherry. That is a weird thing to think about but I'm wondering how someone would know that is what happens. Wouldn't the body have to be around for a long time for that to be noticeable? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully painted, Nancy! I'm in awe of your watercolor ability!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Theresa. Watercolor is my true love. It's such a beautiful medium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dark background because it makes that beautiful onion pop right out. I love this painting, Nancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vous n'avez pas semé le doute en peignant ce bel oignon, vous avez beaucoup de talent...
    J'aime beaucoup la manière que vous avez interprété les pousses de cet oignons.
    Une aquarelle extraordinaire, douce et puissante à la fois.

    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Hilda. I've always liked dark backgrounds on still life paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merci Martinealison. C'était un bel oignon avec une telle expression de verdure j'ai donc été très heureux de le peindre.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails