Monday, December 10, 2012

Tracy Arm Falls

I was out of town for several days this past week and I didn't have much time to paint so I decided to finish a painting I had started a (long) while ago.  It is such a good feeling when I finish a project that's been hanging around the studio so I don't know why I have so many unfinished projects.  I guess it's an even better feeling to start a new project.  : )

Anyway, I was glad I had a painting that was almost finished so I could stay on track with finishing a painting a week.  I was cutting it a little too close this week.

This scene is in Alaska.  We were on a cruise a couple of years ago and I have many photos of wonderful places that will provide reference material for paintings for a long time.  Alaska is so beautiful that by the end of the week, my eyes had overdosed on 'beautiful'.  The Tracy Arm, where the reference photo for this painting was taken,  has many waterfalls and amazing vistas as well as wildlife.  I was wishing that my camera had a better zoom so that I could get some close-ups but even without it, I got some nice pictures.  The water in this area is such an lovely shade of turquoise.  The glacial ice pulverizes the rock as it moves over the surface and as the ice melts, the powdered rock is suspended in the water and it reflects the light and makes the water a milky turquoise color.  It looks unreal.

Tracy Arm Falls
Image size 8" x 16"
Oil

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous, Nancy! I noticed that water immediately and the turquoise is just exquisite. I instantly found myself thinking about swimming. 'Course, the thought of fish in the water deterred my thoughts from continuing, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherry. Not only are there fish in the water, it's also probably too cold to enjoy. Give me a nice, clean, warm pool anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you can almost feel the splash in the water...beautiful painting, Nancy...you did a great job on the water!!! Many years ago, my daughter went to Alaska and she still talks about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you HIlda. It is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails