Monday, May 30, 2016

Agitation

"Agitation"
Image Size 11.5" x 24.5"
Encaustic

I painted this on oriented strand board (OSB) which I have always called chipboard.  It has thin, random pieces of wood glued together and they make a really interesting pattern.  I left areas of this painting with no color so that the wood shows through.  That's what those brown areas are but I don't think you can really see the texture in this photo.  

Usually, I try to get the wax in my paintings pretty smooth, but in this one, most of the white areas are very textural.  I almost added sand like in my last ocean encaustic, but I wanted to try getting texture with just the wax.  The tricky part is fusing the wax enough without losing the texture.

I used a little amber shellac to do a burn but I also got some clear shellac and added green powdered pigment to it and burned that.  The green doesn't show much but did add an interesting texture.

2 comments:

  1. What a really cool piece Nancy. You succeeded with the texture. It almost looks like rough water kicking up the foam. Very creative, kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails