Monday, April 16, 2018


Image size 36" x 43"

I finally finished the large encaustic that I've been working on for over a month.  This is the most difficult encaustic that I've painted so far.  I had trouble keeping the distinct edges of the railings each time I fused a layer of wax.  The wax on either side of the railings would also become molten and move, destroying my edges.  I did a lot of cursing on this one, that's for sure, but I'm happy with the finished painting.

This was a commission painted from my client's photo.  He was recently on a trip to Chile and snapped the reference photo on his iphone.  I love the photo and was really excited to try to capture the feeling of light hitting that back area on the path.  The right lower corner of this painting is darker than it appears in this photo because there is light coming in through a window on that side.  Since encaustic paintings are shiny it is really hard to get an accurate photo of them.  


  1. This is awesome, didn't know that you could control the wax this much to actually make sharp edges. Know it took persistence and the push to just keep going till you got there. Kudos

    1. Thank you Nelvia. As frustrating as it was, it was also good experience and I learned a lot.

  2. Wow!!! This is truly beautiful Nancy! Excellent work!!!!


Related Posts with Thumbnails