Monday, December 28, 2015

Cloudy Pacific

"Cloudy Pacific"
Image size 15.5" x 15.5"
Encaustic

I'm doing a series of encaustics that are this size.  I've already finished two and plan to have ten when I'm done.  They will all be  images of oceans, skies and weather.  I've always liked a square format for paintings and encaustic is a great medium for these subjects.

I enjoy painting clouds in any medium but in encaustic they are really fun.  The white encaustic paint is extremely opaque (of course) and I love how I can break it apart with the heat gun.  By layering the colors and clear medium, I can get a really fun effect.  It doesn't show here in the photo, but adds a lot to the artwork when you see it in person.  And, as I've said before, the shine that you get when you polish the wax adds to the wonderful effect.  I'm always attracted to shiny things.  ; )

I need to get back to my watercolors but am having too much fun with encaustics.  Also, my studio is torn up because I'm painting the walls and baseboards.  Every flat surface is covered right now so it's hard to find a place to work.  Since I do the encaustics in the garage, it's been easier to find a place to work, although even out there, flat surfaces are at a premium!  At my house, if a surface is flat, it's usually covered with stuff!
Hopefully, I will finish painting my studio and putting things away this week so I'm able to start some more watercolor paintings.  That doesn't mean I will stop using the encaustics.  Now that the holidays are over, I'm hoping to spend much more time painting in every medium!

2 comments:

  1. Your work with encaustic is truly beautiful Nancy! I love the powerful sky! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails