Saturday, January 4, 2014

Chiaroscuro Onion II, 30 in 30 - Day 4

This should look familiar to you.  It's the same onion I painted a couple of days ago.  The first one was painted using pastels and this one is done in oils.  It's really hard to get a good representation of the painting with the dark colors used.  The green background is not this light.  There is a strong reflection because the paint is wet.

I painted this on a panel that I had gessoed using black gesso.  That made it really easy to get the rich looking background.  I think painting the same subject a couple of days apart kills the spontaneity of the second painting, even though I used different mediums.  I think my heart just wasn't into this one as much.

So tomorrow I'll be doing something different!

Chiaroscuro Onion II
Image Size 8" x 10"
Oil

6 comments:

  1. Its so interesting to see the same two paintings in different mediums. I love both of these paintings, nancy! Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is terrific, Nancy. That rich green background is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like this onion, he is our friend. I want to see him again, but in wild different value colors - let him loose to live. Actually again you caught the shine of the paper thin skin. Never used black gesso, like the concept though. One more day down - can't wait to see your tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Nelvia. That may be tomorrow/s painting.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails