Thursday, January 9, 2014

Silk Sunset, 30 in 30 - Day 9

I haven't done a silk painting in almost 2 years.  That's amazing to me because I really like to paint on silk.  I approached this one in a different way than usual.  Usually, I like to do detailed paintings using resist to control where the dyes go but for this painting, I just got the silk wet and started adding the dyes.  I put salt on the bottom section and I'm not sure I am really happy with the result.   To me, this looks like the land after a forest fire.  I guess that can be an interesting subject but definitely not the look I was wanting.

This hasn't been steamed and washed yet so there are some creases showing in the photo.

I will try this again and see what some experimenting can produce.

Silk Sunset
Image Size 8" x 10"
Silk dyes on silk

4 comments:

  1. Have never tried painting on silk. The process you describe appears very similar to watercolors. I think it is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very much like watercolor except that it's a little less controllable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh but the sky is gorgeous! We've been getting lots of similar skies here of late.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails